Sunday, December 13, 2009

O Christmas Tree! (Part 1)

What a weekend. There has been an abundance of baking, and far too much eating going on around here (what with all manner of celebrations from Christmas to Hanukkah to a smattering of December birthdays.). Tonight, we decided that the next gathering of the gaming clan should take place over water and saltines and we'll just say no to delicious meals of roast beast and free range chicken and enough dessert to make us all slide into a diabetic coma sight unseen! Clearly, we are all just too darn full...

Instead of focusing on all of that food at this moment, I thought I'd take a moment to share with you a couple of our favourite ornaments.

Here's Mister Man's fave. It was made by his niece Andie when she was about 9. The thing that makes this precious are the drawings on the other side of the ornament that feature a stick-man version of Mister Man being chased by a series of ominous black dots (which represent the 17 wasps that chased him and stung his hide one summer). There's another drawing that features the 2 otters that spooked himself once when he was fishing. I love the way the message wanders down the bulb as if the brush were out for an evening stroll. And to think that she's now a young woman in university....

My current fave is one that my brother Paully and Michele brought back from the Galapagos Islands.

And then there's this one that was hand blown by a glass artist in Vernon.

And how about the one straight out of that hilarious film "A Christmas Story". Remember the lamp? Well, it's on our tree.

And last, but not least, here's the ornament I picked up for Mister Man when Lisa and I went shopping in Seattle. I know you won't be surprised to find out that Mister Man loves himself a robot...

And now, I must go and fall into a deep, deep sleep. I'll be back to tell you about the old Newfoundland Christmas tradition of mummering...

No comments:

Post a Comment