Monday, March 22, 2010

Brain on Toast

Dear World,

This is how my morning went: the alarm went off at 6:00, much to my exhausted chagrin. Heart racing, I stumbled out of bed and reached for my glasses - the same glasses that broke 2 days before yesterday's very intense film shoot. Yes, the same glasses that have been damaged irreparably and that are now held together with a swatch of tape so that I resemble one of the Hanson brothers. Remember them?

And then I slid my taped up glasses on my nose, which is currently the site of the world's largest zit. That zit, which hurts like the dickens, sits immediately underneath the nose pieces of my glasses. This means that my nemesis, the zit, is constantly in contact with my glasses. So during my waking hours in which I need my glasses to move through the world, there is only word that springs to mind: Ouch.

I was a bit stunned this morning as I set out to do returns after yesterday's film shoot for work. (I do have the coolest job in the world. I got to coordinate the shoot and then worked as the A.D. on set). Last week, as we sprinted towards the shoot date, I clocked almost 70 hours. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. I'm just explaining why the morning unfolded the way it did. Clearly I was bleary eyed with exhaustion.

So there I was, picking up the walkie talkies from the Production Manager at 7:30 so that I could return them. Finding the rental place was a bit of a challenge, and for a moment I was pretty certain I was caught in a Rubik's Cube or the Bermuda Triangle. But find it, I did. I wrestled the box out of my trunk and balanced it precariously between my boobs and my knees as I struggled to open the door to the joint. After I handed in the box of walkies, I went upstairs to accounting to make sure that the rental had been put through on the producer's credit card.

In the accounting office, I was greeted by a nicely dressed young man who shook my hand and said his name was Jeremy. And then there was this big ol' pause and he said, "Oh! I think you're bleeding." I looked down, and to my horror, there was blood running down my hand. I guess in all the sleepy eyed juggling of the box, I'd nicked my hand and caused an injury. And THEN to my triple horror, I looked at HIS hand, which now had a little smear of my blood right smack dab on his palm. Moments later, after we'd both washed our hands and he'd gone in search of a band aid, I discovered that the credit card WASN'T on file. And they didn't take debit. And I didn't have enough cash. But the nice man said he'd invoice us, so I went slinking out of there more than a tad embarrassed with my wounded hand dangling from my wrist.

Then it was off to the production rental place to drop off the 200 pound table top make up mirror. As the guy came to give me a hand with it, I slung my purse over my shoulder, and the darned buckle came undone, so the contents of my purse were splattered all over the parking lot. It was then that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I was a danger to myself and the world around me. Thank goodness I was able to leave work early today. Because really, it was going to get ugly.

So here I am world, at the end of the day, after a lovely dinner of poached salmon and a really excellent nap and the knowledge that tomorrow is another day......


Sugarlove Girl


  1. Ohhh, dear T1 - I shouldn't be laughing, but I can't help myself.
    From time to time, one has to pay the price for having the coolest job in the world, and apparently that day was yesterday for you.
    (And I'm just happy the blood wasn't coming from the nose zit ;)

  2. Bunkle,

    By inviting you to laugh at my misfortune, I have become (In the words of Bill Shannon) both "heroic and tragic" at the same time! Also - you'll be happy to know that the nose zit is now nothing but a painful memory! xo