Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies - the recipe




I don't know about you, but I am picky about my chocolate chip cookies. I don't like them when they're too "cakey" (cuz let's face it, if you're gonna have cake, have cake already!! Don't have a cookie!!) In an ideal world, they are a bit on the bendy side, while still being crisp at the edges - thin and buttery and full of chocolatey goodness. After a few months of auditioning recipes, I think I finally found one in a magazine that promised "all cookies - all the time". Yup. I believe these are approaching perfection, but let me know what you think!

9 1/2 ounces (2 cups + 2 Tbsp) all purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup butter at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (spring for good chocolate chips - you can taste the difference!)
2 1/2 ounces milk chocolate chips
2 tsp instant coffee (optional - but I think it adds a nice edge)

Position a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside
Cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Then, with the mixer turned on low, slowly add the flour mixture until incorporated.
Fold in the chocolate. Roll into balls and flatten a bit between the palms of your hand. Place the cookies on parchment paper, allowing room for the lovely buttery spreading action. Bake for 10-11 minutes until the cookies are golden brown on the edges and slightly soft in the centre. Let cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.

Makes about 36 cookies. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. (if they last that long!)


2 comments:

  1. Yes. I am Doctoooor Eeeeevil, and I plan to take over the world, one cookie at a time! Mwahahahahah!

    ReplyDelete