Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lemon Sandwich Cookies


The Vancouver Folk Music Festival takes place this weekend, and that means 3 glorious days in a music-filled park, surrounded by mountains, the ocean and a most delightfully eclectic group of people.  

As I contemplated what I could bake to share with members of my volunteer committee, I began thinking about flavours that were synonymous with summer. I wanted to make something sweet and light.... and a bit special (natch). And I started to fixate on lemon: lovely, luscious, light, alliterative lemon. Then I started trawling the internets in search of something that inspired me.

When I found this recipe on marthastewart.com, it seemed to have everything I was looking for. I did kick up the lemon flavour a bit, and I didn't use a cookie cutter, choosing instead to make like a lazy slug and roll the dough into a log, chill it and then slice it. And I certainly didn't bake these puppies for 20 minutes. Nosiree - that just seemed like crazy talk to me! At the end of the day, I think the folks at the festival of the folk will like 'em. I know I enjoyed the one I had at the end of the baking!

For the Cookie
2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour

Beat butter, sugar, lemon zest and salt until combined. With the mixer on low,  add flour bit by bit. The dough will be fairly thick so you will probably have to finish mixing with a spatula.

Put the dough on a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log. Chill for at least an hour. Just before the next step, preheat your oven to 350 with the rack in the centre. Once your lemony log has been chilled, you can slice it. Aim for slices about 1/8 thick. (Please disregard my crooked slices pictured below. Clearly, I don't know how to drive a knife and really, it's a wonder I didn't take out my eye!!!) 

Place discs on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper and bake for 10-11 minutes or until they just barely begin to brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

For the filling
1 8 ounce package cream cheese at room temperature
2 1/2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest (from 2 or 3 lemons)
2 cups confectioners sugar

In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese and zest until smooth. (I used a fork, so you don't even need to haul out the big assed mixer!) Gradually add 1 cup confectioners sugar and mix until smooth. If you need to add a little more confectioners sugar to make it firm (but still spreadable), go for it! Make sure those cookies are nice and cool and spread a healthy dollop on one side of the cookie and make a sammich! 

If I don't see you at the festival, I'll see you back here over the weekend when I try to wedge in a couple of posts complete with images. Maybe we can stroll through the food fair together and see if anything inspires us! It's usually a pretty magical event. And tomorrow night one of my all time favourite Canadian bands is playing: The Weakerthans. I luff them.

1 comment: