Monday, November 23, 2009

I Could Have Golfed All Night (or how I laughed my face off at the annual DOXA fall fundraiser) PART I


For two years, I've been on the Board of Directors of the DOXA Documentary Film Festival, a Vancouver based film festival that celebrates documentary film. And last week, I stepped down because of the pending wedding and all of the stuff that needs doin' between now and September 4th. But I wanted to write something here about DOXA and the amazing folks who are associated with the festival. For starters, I can tell you that I LOVED my time on the board, because:

  1. I love documentaries. Where else could I be transfixed by a true life story about ARM WRESTLING or a gripping Swedish film about a group of men building a treehouse?

  2. For any of you out there who haven't ever volunteered for an arts organization, let me tell you how much fun it can be. Sure, it's lots of work, but there is hardly anything more satisfying than to help see an organization through a period of growth, or than being part of a festival, or helping to organize a fundraiser. Because the thing is that volunteering CAN make a difference.

  3. I got to work with some amazing people, many of whom I might never have met had it not been for our time together.
So on Saturday, we had the annual fall fundraiser. This event has happened for a bunch of years, and this year we changed it up and got a new venue, a new look and a new theme. (CONFESSION: we MAY have been under the influence of sugar when we dreamed this up.....)

Oh sure, the fabulous silent auction was still the main event, but this year, instead of screening retro documentary footage with a live musical score, we decided to have a bit of a carnival instead.

And even though we had no idea of the outcome, the committee (Lauren, our fearless leader and the Director of Development at Doxa) my fellow coordinator, Jan (AKA Bunklelife) and other committee members, had a blast.

And by the looks of it, so did everyone else.

I mean come ON! You could buy DOXA dollars in exchange for game play!

Like Rattlesnake Round Up, or Velcro Aerial Golf!

Mister Man channels Tiger Woods....

And Dorothy sports a stylish frock AND a whole bunch of style with that killer swing. (and um - it WAS a bit of a killer swing because I believe she sent the astro turf into the next room!)

I got over my fear of snakes...

And proved that, despite the coaching from the sidelines, I shouldn't give up my day job for a career playing ball (or any sport that requires throwing for that matter.)

We were all just so darned pleased that it was going well. Here's Lauren and Ali.

And Nancy and Carri.

Some folks insisted on fighting the scrutinizing lens of my camera by duking it out camera to camera! (Kenji may shoot me - again - for posting this snap...)

While others just gave in and puckered up. That's Jan with Mister Man.

And part of the fundraising committee decided to chill, and hung out at Pin the Tail on the Donkey (please hold the ass jokes...!)

Tune in tomorrow for the hair-raising results of the silent auction and the truth about Sarah Leavitt's dreams!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment