Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembering.....


Today is Remembrance Day in Canada (Veteran's Day in the States) and I know that there have been many eloquent posts that have gone up all around the world about the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. In thinking about what to write on this day, so much went whipping across my brain:

I thought about all of the Canadian men and women who are currently overseas
I thought about what it must have been like to be a young Canadian woman during the second world war
I thought about what it must feel like to be the little kid who reads the poem at the ceremonies at our local cenotaph

and then I thought about the power in a moment of silence. And I wondered what it would LOOK like... I DO know that a moment of silence is not blank. In fact, a moment of silence is full to the point of overflowing.

I'm not sure that I have images that measure up to the challenge, but this is the one that seemed to make the most sense on today.

Here is my moment of silence:

(This photo was taken when we were at Gettysburg last summer. There was something so profoundly moving about watching the reflection of this young woman as she read about what it was like to be a woman during the American Civil War):

Lest we forget....

No comments:

Post a Comment