Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rolling Out The True Confessions Chain

Confessing is contagious. I'll tell you how I know this to be true. Recently, I shared with you a list of 25 confessions. I actually told you some of my deepest, darkest secrets, right here in the blogosphere, in front of god, the mums and everyone.....

Well, initially I posted my "25 things" meme on Facebook as part of a challenge. When a shy and retiring friend rose to the occasion and published HER list of 25 things, I heaved a sigh and gave it a go.

To my utter surprise, I found that a whole slew of my friends shared confession #17 with me! I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time! All these years, I thought I was the only one dumb enough to have stuck my hand in that thing!!! I've changed the names to protect the innocent (and um, P.S. for any of you reading the posting time and thinking "so THAT'S what you do at work!" These comments transpired on a Saturday..):


KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Updated about 7 months ago · Comment · /

D D
a wringer washer!!! ha ha haaaaaa!
February 14 at 4:06pm ·
Delete

Sugarlove Girl
yeah - you laugh NOW. But I tell you, when I walked through the doors of the Janeway Children's Hospital on a St. John's summer day, when the waiting room at the hospital was FILLED TO CAPACITY with other injured children who hadn't done anything NEARLY as stupid - and THEN, they misplaced my file, and suddenly a loud ol' woman with a townie accent came over the p.a. saying "would the little girl who got her arm caught in the washer ringer please come to the information desk - the little girl who got her arm caught in the washer ringer to the information desk". *click* And THEN you coulda heard a pin drop when everyone stopped to see what idiot child could have been STUNNED enough to put their hand through the wringer. And then I had to stand up, and do the walk of shame to the information desk as about 100 pairs of eyes stared at me in disbelief. (also note that the "emergency open" feature of the washer ringer was broken, so my mother had to put it on reverse to free my arm).
February 14 at 4:34pm ·
Delete

EB
Teri, this is GREAT - I laughed out loud - I got my hand caught in a ringer washer too!!! My Mum was so upset because she had warned me soooo many times, but I HAD to see what would happen, and IT HURT...how far up did your arm go? Mum extracted me when I was in up to my shoulder, stuck fast. Ahh, they just don't make appliances like 'em anymore!!!! Thanks for this!
February 14 at 4:34pm ·
Delete

Sugarlove Girl
HA HA HA HA Now I am laughing out loud!!! I didn't think there was anyone else out there (certainly not anyone in my life) who was as categorically stupid, but now I see there is and that person is you and O.M.G. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH AT THIS MOMENT, you cannot possibly know!! Okay mine went past my elbow by the time my mother realized that the RELEASE button was broken, so then I had to stand there SHRIEKING while it was wrung back out!!! (okay - I'm laughing so hard now that I am crying).
February 14 at 4:40pm ·
Delete

EB
Then there was getting stuck fast to the top of a chain link fence, by the crotch of my jeans...they have those twisted metal things on top, and it twisted itself RIGHT through the material....the physics involved in untwisting myself were too much for my overwrought psyche, and my "good friends" had taken off into the bushes, peeing themselves laughing, so I had to borrow the ski jacket of the only loyal one left, put it around my waist, and WIGGLE out of the damned pants, leave them on the fence, run to the bushes wearing only the tied-on ski jacket and watch as the loyal friend wrestled my jeans off the fence...the next day in band class I walked in just in time to hear the whole sad tale being related to the cute boy I really liked....I have a fear of chain link fences
February 14 at 4:40pm ·
Delete

EBDear God, Teri....you had your arm WRUNG BACK OUT????? You are a far braver man than I, Gunga Din!!!!February 14 at 4:44pm · Delete

Sugarlove Girl
HA HA HA HA - STOP *clutches stomach*. When I got my head stuck between the two stairs (the kind with no back on them), I was standing on a chair at the time (duh) and my mother was convinced that I would start wriggling and the chair would tip, and I would break my neck. So hysterically, she got me to SWEAR that I wouldn't move and she phoned the fire department. I tell you, as I stood there, my head twisted sideways on the step, I had to watch in utter humiliation as some strange man's big feet delicately stepped around my stupid head (so as not to squish the bit of grey matter that was in there). And he had to dismantle the stairs to free my head. Gawd.I think that's why I have never liked those stairs that have no back on them. They TOTALLY creep me out. PS We are two peas in a pod. How the HELL did we turn out so well??????
February 14 at 4:47pm ·
Delete

Sugarlove Girl
In reference to your last note: Yeah, but YOUR arm went all the way up to the armpit - mine had a much shorter journey on the way in!!!!
February 14 at 4:47pm ·
Delete

P N-J
Um....more on the princess camping! The kids would love to camp more, but I can't sleep in a tent thanks to a 7 toed cat (but in my defence - the toes were fucking HUGE) so I'd like to know how to do the princess camping. It's sounds right up my alley!!
February 14 at 5:06pm ·
Delete

D M
very enjoyable reading. i too was eaten by the washer wringer.
February 14 at 6:05pm ·
Delete

Sugarlove Girl
NO WAY!!!! We need to start a club!! This is fantastic!! (I always thought I was the only idiot child out there). tee hee!!
February 14 at 6:08pm ·
Delete

B S
Okay this is REALLY spooky but I too, got my fingers stuck in the washer ringer when I was five (still have the scar on the little finger). My mother worked and we had this wonderful, obese Ukrainian woman named Mrs. Currie who helped out and she started screaming what to me was a VERY strange language and flapping her arms around and dancing on one poor Dr. Scholled foot! Then, she completely left the house! I can't actually recall but I think she went home! And, I waited in the tiny laundry room with my fingers in the wringer. It felt like hours but I think it was only about fifteen minutes. Then my dad appeared with practically the whole mine rescue team and they managed to get my fingers out and off to the hospital in the mine rescue truck and had five or six stitches! Mrs. Currie returned a few days over and we never spoke of the incident again.And, Teri, I can remember driving you over bridges always using the inside lane!
February 14 at 8:45pm ·
Delete

Sugarlove Girl
B! NO! It can't be that YOU TOO are officially part of this ever expanding group of my friends who all share the same affliction and strange attraction to hostile machinery.... who knew that I could be bonded to everyone through this one small act of stupidity!! I am also very disappointed in Mrs. Currie (unless of course it was she who RAN to summon your dad??) And, in fact, I can remember insisting that you use the centre lane on bridges. (it's still my preference although Brian is always saying that it's not the edge of the bridge that you have to worry about - it's the oncoming traffic. I guess it just goes to show that can't win!!) xo
February 14 at 9:23pm ·
Delete

I F
Teri, too funny. But just wait until you see the final season of the Gilmore Girls and Lorlelai sings I Will Always Love You (the Dolly Parton version of course) to Rori. You will laugh...you will cry...it will become part of you...particularly when Luke arrives and thinks it is about him...is it????? Oh and I got MY hand stuck in Mrs. Maranda's wringer washer too. Scared the hell out of me..never felt more alive. Mom had the first automatic washer on the block...I felt so cheated...wanted old school!!!
February 14 at 9:27pm ·
Delete

B THi Teri - well... I learned how to walk off the front of a stage into thin air while reading a newspaper - do I hear Cirque du Soleil calling? No washer wrestling in my past, but I did try to fly like a helicopter by swinging my arm over my head and riding my tricycle over a small drop - oh, oh, a pattern is emerging...I better stop watching Heroes.
February 15 at 8:51am ·
Delete

P M
No wringer washer incidents to report but it seems like a very cool club, can I be an honourary member. Love your 25 things Toot!
February 15 at 10:25am ·
Delete

B SNow that you mention it Teri, I am pretty sure that is exactly what Mrs. Currie did - went to get my dad! Wow, all these years I have had a fear of obese Ukrainian women and now a weight has lifted off my shoulders! Phew! This year's Ukrainian Festival will not find me hiding in my office under the desk afraid of flesh and wringers! Thanks!
February 15 at 11:10am ·
Delete

L B
I don't like answering the phone or calling people - but I do like talking on the phone once that trial is over. I LOVE, as you know, watching tv on dvd - have you seen Damages? I am also afraid of heights because I am afraid I will jump off. I once was disturbed for a year because I thought you had given up coffee - it was after you gave up cigarettes. I guess I got confused.
February 15 at 4:33pm ·
Delete

K F
I am amazed and impressed by all the wringer washer survivors! My Nana had a wringer washer and I remember the warnings about said machine being so frightening and severe that I think I thought my hand and/or arm would be flattened like a cartoon and never return to it's right form. I imagined having to spend the rest of my life with one pancake

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

And that was about the end of the chain. Who knew? Golly I laughed my HEAD off reading these responses. Hope you laughed too (and thanked your lucky stars that you weren't nearly as daring idiotic as some of us). I also discovered that you can still buy the things! Brand new! I can assure you that I have no intention of busting down the doors of cyberspace to pick one up!

Oh. And one last confession: I corrected the spelling in a couple of responses. Does that make me a bad person?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god. SO funny.
    But the icing on the cake? Your tag - "idiot children")

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just like that you have a tag called "idiot children". can't wait to see what else gets that!

    ReplyDelete