Months ago there was a meme going around Facebook, in which people were to list 25 things about themselves. Perhaps I am being lazy by re-posting it here. But I like to think that I'm being environmentally aware (in a creative way) by recycling this pertinent info which might illuminate a thing or two. I also think that a couple of photos I might later post will make more sense. So without further ado, here are my true confessions at this moment in time (at least the ones I'm willing to share!)
1. I hate talking on the telephone unless it's about work. This flies in the face of the MONTHS I spent talking on the phone as a teen-ager. I'm embarrassed to say that my relationship to the phone is almost phobic. I was surprised to learn at Christmas time that my brother shares this affliction!
2. My most special talent is being able to sing Christmas songs by spelling them as I sing the melody: letter-by-letter. It is more difficult than it sounds.
3. During a school tour years ago, I learned to do a bunch of absurd things like: cross one eye and keep one straight, and bend my fingers from the top joint only. I can't remember what my fellow tour mates learned how to do, but I'm sure it was equally as absurd.
4. I played piano and sang classical music in my youth. But I haven't had a piano in years, so I'm incredibly rusty. I think I might also be a little lazy (which is a huge place of conflict for one who has been prone to workaholism).
5. I play the button accordion (not very well - and again, I am very rusty). My accordion looks like this:
6. I am incredibly proud of being a Newfoundlander, but I love living on the West Coast.
7. I have finished a half marathon 3 times (once walking and twice running.) I am a fast walker and a slow runner. I am really proud of this accomplishment because I think it takes people by surprise. I certainly don't look like I would be capable of going more than a couple of blocks!!
8. I love my life with Mister Man. He is one of the best people on the face of this earth and I'm glad we met later in life because I have a hunch we might have messed it up a decade ago.
9. I like to laugh but sometimes I worry that I take life too seriously....
10. I harbour a secret desire to be a blogger and produce a podcast. (I know - I know "what's stopping me?") [HA!! I just re-read that, and um, hello? I'm feeling like I've actually accomplished something in the past 6 months!!]
11. I love a good gadget and am completely addicted to technology. Consequently, this leads me to believing that I run a little shallow, as I am frequently found yelling from the latest techno-bandwagon.
12. I have many, many amazing people in my life.
13. A lengthy restaurant menu is overwhelming to me and frequently I end up suffering from "food envy" when I see what other people ordered.
14. Though I am not a vegetarian, the best dishes I cook are all vegetarian! [recipes coming with the arrival of fall]
15. I recently started to bake, and though I don't do it frequently for fear of eating it, I really love it... Secretly, I am always trolling the web for the best baking recipes....
16. I hate being the centre of attention. [perhaps this blog flies in the face of this confession? In any event, it's true.]
17. I once got my arm caught in a washer-wringer. That was a few years after I got my head caught between 2 single slat stairs. Both experiences were mondo sources of childhood humiliation.
18. I have an addictive personality and cannot imagine a day without caffeine. Or a life without sugar. I'm relieved that I never had the opportunity or money to do hard drugs. I shudder at contemplating how it could have gone from there....
19. While I loved all those years working as a freelancer, I have had a "real job" as a production coordinator for 3 years now, and I love it.
20. I am afraid of heights: balconies, glass elevators, escalators that ascend too far, and bridges. I live on the 12th floor and have never stood on the balcony unless it involved clutching the sliding door. Running across the Lion's Gate Bridge makes me weep. I have learned to walk across the Granville Street bridge without tears,but ONLY if I'm going from North to South. When I walk across that bridge going in the other direction, I kind of lurch with vertigo.
21. I am currently (and sadly) addicted to The Gilmore Girls on DVD. When that is finished, I'm sure I will find something else. [yup. just mowed through season 1 of Nurse Jackie]. I love watching television on DVD, episode after episode after episode in a compulsive way. I have marched through many a series this way: BtVS, Angel, Grey's Anatomy, Nip/Tuck...
22. I really like reducing people's names into cute little nick-names. This goes for pets too. Frequently, I end up making names longer. (I used to call Flip "Flipper Pie", and Wes is "Westerly Wind", and Pat is "Poot Moot", and Karen is "Koot Doodler" etc.)
23. I am clumsy like a 2 year old. And impulsive like a 5 year old. And bossy like a 12 year old.
24. I cry at things that fill me with joy and I cry at things that fill me with sorrow.
25. I have come to love the great outdoors, though I held it in flagrant disregard for most of my youth. But now I love princess camping (Mariette taught me everything I know) and spending time in the woods.