Friday, September 4, 2009

A Year and Counting

Wow. Today is September 4, 2009. On September 4, 2010, Mister Man and I are going to step up to the plate and bat one out of the park. We are taking the plunge. Getting hitched. Goin' for the whole enchilada. Saying I do. Cutting the cake (and hopefully not the mustard). Making a public proclamation and a commitment to each other in front of our beloved friends and family.

Exactly ONE YEAR from today.

(Secretly, I'm hopeful that Mister Man will take a shining to the camera prior to that day one year from now!)

Here's the deal. Mister Man imposed a media black out on all mention of the big event UNTIL THE LABOUR DAY WEEKEND. So here we are. And here's what I'm thinking. (For any of you who are new to this corner of the blogosphere, here's the bg on how we got here.)

I am SOOO grateful for the people in my life who are on board for this journey (many of whom are about to be roped in for their assistance, advice, research skills, drawing ability, and yes, some of you are probably reading these words right now and hearing the sound of a penny drop somewhere). We have many friends and family with many talents. And, we've got you on speed dial!!! HA!

The Mums is currently busy researching gerberas. My best maid Mariette is always there on the sidelines, cheering me on and offering suggestions. She was right by my side, foisting tissues upon my teary eyed self when we found a dress for me to wear. We had an intense email exchange when she picked out her beautiful dress for her beautiful self.

My best maid Mariette had so much fun on her day. As did B1 (the Calgary version of Mister Man).

And recently, our T and A had a blast at their nuptials in PA. So we know that a wedding can be more fun than a bag of mini donuts at the PNE. And that's what we're going for here.

I don't actually believe that our wedding will be "the most important day of our life", because I sort of feel like that kind of mythos leads to nothing but disappointment. Plus, I think most of us live lives full of important days that aren't marked by a big event, but maybe by a simple revelation? But in truth, I would like our day to be special. I mean, several dozen friends and family will gather at a park in St. John's, Newfoundland to have a scuff and a scoff, and a laugh, to raise a glass during one big ass celebration. Some of those people will have flown all the way across the country to be with us. But most of all, I would like our day to reflect who we are: two geeky people stumbling about in the dark, laughing at many of the same things and loving each other.

(In this photo, we were two geeky people stumbling around Las Vegas - note the Elvis shades)

Lately I've been thinking about things like how many photographs will be taken on the big day. And, while I would LOVE to accept my body for everything it is (round, soft, squishy, bodacious, buxom and any other number of euphemisms for fat), in truth, I would like to be a size or so smaller... I'm not talking about aiming for a size 2 or 4 or anything wacky like that.... just something a little - well - LESS than what it is at this moment in time. So now that we're a year and counting away from the event, I think I'd like to pay a bit more attention. I have a couple of friends who are also paying attention these days, so I'm going to clamor onto their bandwagon I think..... Friends, make room!

Here is a promise that Mariette and I made to each other in the summer. Every day, we promise to do something to make ourselves feel good about ourselves. Today, that thing is to be mindful. I know that some of you are thinking "don't bake!", but in reality, I usually bake for other people and manage to make do with a slice of whatever is on the go. I think I can continue to do that, but maybe I can also make do WITHOUT some other things. (Hello cheese. I'm talkin' to YOU. And you rippled chips - better hustle your crinkly bag outta our cupboards!) And I think I need to warmly greet that sweaty spin class that got my heart a pumpin' last winter. And I think that maybe I need to talk about all of that here, from time to time....

I do want to leave you with the 2 images that got the ball rolling when we met in cyberspace and exchanged a few messages, which turned into a few emails, which turned into exchanging these images. And from there we met for a coffee, which turned into dinner and dessert. And before you know it, we were reveling in the knowledge that we were kind of a match made in heaven. I'm glad we're gonna get hitched. And I'm glad you're along for the ride. I promise it won't be nearly as scary as The Inverter.....

1 comment:

  1. This actually made me dewy eyed, sugarlove. Literally, tears to these cynical ol' eyes. Aww...you guys.

    ReplyDelete